By Team
Former cabinet Minister Raphael Tuju, in a meeting with his family and relatives, showed them his burial place should he be killed over the bid to take over his multi-billion premises in Nairobi’s upmarket Karen.
Tuju told the family the specific place he would wish to be buried should he be killed over his move to protect his property.
“Today, I told and showed my family and relatives the specific place I would wish to be buried. I am not ready to be killed over my property.
I will not sit and watch my property taken away.
Let them kill me first. I will be happy that I was killed protecting the family property and my grandchildren will know where and how their grandfather died,” he said.
On Saturday dawn, over 100 police officers stormed Tuju’s premises in what Tuju termed as continuous intimidation.
He said the police officers, some with unmarked police vehicles, stormed the facility and denied everyone entry to the facility.
“I do not know why the police have decided to occupy my facility. They do not even have court orders. I will not be cowed,” he said.
Tuju has been overwhelmed with support and goodwill from Kenyans and the international community over the attempted takeover of his premises by an auctioneer over a long-running commercial debt court battle. “I am overwhelmed by the messages of support and goodwill from friends, relatives, many Kenyans, not to mention members of the international community. I am indeed humbled and grateful for your prayers and words of encouragement,” he said.
Similarly, the High Court also granted Tuju the authority to appeal the Monday ruling by Judge Josephine Mong’are that the matter was already settled, opening the door for recovery of the prime assets tied to a long-running debt.
After the ruling by Justice Mong’are on Monday, she denied him the constitutional right of appeal and stated on record that it would be subject to her discretion. “I have a right to appeal, but the judge didn’t give me that opportunity. The 2010 Constitution gives me the right to appeal. You know there are corruption cases on this matter. People were arrested at my place because they were insisting that I must give them money to allegedly allow any appeal and any stay of execution and any status quo. I have already made an application,” he said.
Tuju said goodwill messages and support across from Kenyans and the international community were a sign of love and respect from the public.
He said on Monday four people, including a former Judge of the High Court, came to his premises to collect a bribe and were arrested by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC). Former High Court Judge Joseph Mutava and three other suspects were released on Sh200,000 cash bail each, pending investigation into bribery claims. The four, who also included a lawyer, spent their Monday night in cells following their arrest by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) officials. The officials said they would forward the outcome of the investigation to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) for review and possible charges.
“These individuals had been in touch with me for several weeks. There are details of my encounter that I may not dwell on before the investigations are completed,” he said.
He said currently he was politically exposed and he has to fight to protect his property. “Given the fact that I am a politically exposed person, I cannot be so naive as to think that this conflict with the bank would not engage my political enemies who are many all over the country,” he said.
Tuju has declared that only over his dead body will he lose his property after an auctioneer went to claim the facility.
He said the agents of a gentleman by the name of Chebet brought a fellow called Mr. Kiprop to take over the property.
“They had no court order and court papers. They just think they can come and intimidate me so that they can come and take over my property. It is very simple what they have to do. They have to shoot me to get a big burial for me in Rarieda constituency. I am sure my constituents will come to mourn. After I have been put into the grave, then they can come and take the property through such kind of impunity. I am not going to take this kind of intimidation. It is very simple. They kill me first. I am not taking that kind of intimidation,” he said.
Tuju said the move was aimed at intimidating and blackmailing him into submission after some suspects were arrested at his premises for allegedly soliciting Sh10.4M bribe over a case in court.
He wondered why the agent had to invade his premises with goons instead of using proper legal channels. “On Wednesday evening, the firm of Lavington Security led by Mr. Kiprop, under the instructions of Mr. Jackson Chebet and their lawyer Mr. Kiprono, accompanied by over a hundred goons, stormed our Dari Business Park, which now hosts Tamarind Restaurant, in an attempt to throw me out. If they had valid eviction orders, they needed not come with goons. Fortunately, after the commotion they created, my people informed the Karen Police Station who came.



